About the WV Ethics Commission
The Commission consists of twelve members appointed to five year terms by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate. The Commission meets monthly, generally on the first Thursday, and is supported by a small full time staff (an executive director, two attorneys, and administrative support )
Operation and Primary Functions of the Ethics Commission
- Educate public servants about their responsibilities under the Ethics Act via answers to phone queries, written material, presentations and classes.
- Draft and issue formal advisory opinions in response to requests from individuals covered by the Ethics Act and the Open Governmental Meetings Act.
- Administer the registration and reporting of lobbyists and publish an annual directory of lobbyists
- Provide for the distribution and filing of financial disclosure statements for candidates and other public servants who must file.
- Oversee the processing, investigation and adjudication of verified complaints of Ethics violations.
- Answer inquiries from the press and public regarding lobbyist registration financial disclosure filing and general interpretation of the Ethics Act.
Education, Outreach and Training
The Ethics Commission staff provides a variety of ethics education programs free of charge. In addition to conducting training programs for groups of public officials, public employees and citizens, the Commission has pamphlets and guidelines addressing various ethics issues. Many of these materials may be downloaded from the Commission’s web site.
If you have questions, need more information or wish to request an Ethics Commission representative to provide training, please write, call the Commission .
Click here for training or informational materials.
Commission meetings are normally held the first Thursday of each month
Open Meetings committee meets at 9:30 a.m.
WV Ethics Commission meets at 10:00 a.m.
ALJ Committee meets at 11:00 a.m. or at the end of the Ethics Commission Meeting.
The meetings are open to the public. Agendas are available the Friday prior to each meeting
Meetings are held at the Ethics Commission Office
210 Brooks St., Suite 300
Charleston WV 25301
WV toll free: 1-866-558-0664