Who must register as a Lobbyist
Persons who lobby the Legislature or State regulatory agencies must register as lobbyists with the WV Ethics Commission if they:
(1) receive compensation for lobbying, or
(2) spend money on a public servant in furtherance of their lobbying activities.
Restrictions on who may register
ARTICLE 3. LOBBYISTS.
§6B-3-2. Registration of lobbyists.
(e) The following public officers or employees may not, during or up to one year after the termination of their public employment or service, be allowed to register as lobbyists:
(1) Members of the Legislature;
(2) Members of the Executive Department as referenced in article VII, section one of the Constitution of West Virginia;
(3) Will and pleasure professional employees of the legislature under the direct supervision of a member of the legislature;
(4) Will and pleasure professional employees of members of the Executive Department under the direct supervision of the Executive Department officer and who regularly, personally and substantially participates in a decision-making or advisory capacity regarding agency or department policy;
(5) Members of the Supreme Court of Appeals;
(6) Any department secretary of an executive branch department created by the provisions of section two, article one, chapter five-f of this code; and,
(7) Heads of any state departments or agencies.
Exemptions from registration
The following persons are exempt from registration and reporting, unless they engage in activities that would otherwise require them to register as lobbyists.
(1) Persons who limit their lobbying activities to attending receptions, dinners, parties or other group functions and make no expenditures in connection with such lobbying.
(2) Persons who lobby without compensation or other consideration for acting as lobbyists, and, whose total expenditures in connection with such lobbying do not exceed $150.00 during any calendar year.
(3) Persons who limit their lobbying activities to appearing before public sessions of committees of the Legislature or public hearings of state agencies.
(4) Persons who lobby without compensation on behalf of a nonprofit organization and who restrict their lobbying activities to no more than twenty days or parts thereof during any regular session of the Legislature and make no expenditures.
When to register - registration cycle
Lobbyists may register anytime. Registration must be completed before lobbying begins. There is a two-year registration cycle. All lobbyist registrations expire at the end of each even-numbered year. Lobbyists must re-register before engaging in lobbying in the new year. All registration forms are processed promptly and identification credentials issued. See the Training section on this website for requirements regarding re-registration.
How to register
Forms are available at the Ethics Commission office at 210 Brooks Street, Suite 300, Charleston, WV 25301. You may download blank registration forms here. Lobbyists may register by mail or in person at the Commission office. On-line registration and reporting are not available at this time.
Lobbyist Directory published annually
Lobbyists registered by December 10 will be included in the Directory of Registered Lobbyists published each January. When necessary, a supplement will be published listing updates of lobbyists registering after the first publication date. Additionally, lists of all registered lobbyists and their represented employers are available here. All lists are updated periodically
Registration forms and fees
To register, the lobbyist must present:
- Completed Lobbyist Registration Form(s) with original signatures.
- A completed signed Statement of Representation for each employer represented by the lobbyist.
- Registration fees are $100.00 per lobbyist plus an additional $100.00 per entity represented. Fees are payable either by check, credit card or money order (NO CASH).
- A passport-type 2"x 2" photo submitted electronically or by mail. (The photo is for publication in the lobbyist directory.)
Lobbyists must file a separate Employer Representation/Authorization Form for each employer/organization represented. They also must pay a $100.00 fee for each employer or organization represented. All forms require original signatures. You may download blank registration forms here.
Original forms or printed forms with original signatures must be presented; facsimile filing is not accepted. Incomplete or incorrect applications will be returned to the filer. Lobbying privileges will not be granted until an application is complete and correct.